Minister of National Security Dr Bernard Nottage.
By RASHAD ROLLE
Tribune Staff Reporter
NATIONAL Security Minister Dr Bernard Nottage said on Friday he is not satisfied by the decrease in the murder rate in 2016 compared to the last two years, vowing to work to ensure all Bahamians feel safe.
Davano Dacosta became the 48th murder victim of the year when he was shot multiple times on Thursday in the Centerville area.
According to Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) records, 63 people had been killed by the end of May last year and 60 people by the end of May, 2014.
Dr Nottage’s comments came during a walkabout in the Bain Town constituency, where an abandoned building was being destroyed as part of efforts to erase havens for criminals.
“One of the things we also encounter in buildings (like the now destroyed structure) is people hide weapons and drugs and then use those weapons to conduct criminal activity in the area,” Dr Nottage said about the structure on Meadow Street.
“We are reducing the opportunities for people to do those kinds of things.
“People can’t commit a crime and then come and run in these buildings to hide their guns or their drugs and whatever.
“This is an anti-crime initiative just as it is a healthcare initiative.”
As for violent crime, he said: “I’m not satisfied. Although there have been some improvement and results I’m not satisfied.
“As long as there
are people who feel unsafe in our country, as long as we still have these homicides, assaults and armed robberies, I cannot be satisfied.
“One is hopeful that this is a trend that we can keep doing.
“People who work in Urban Renewal deserve an extreme measure of thanks for what they are doing. I feel encouraged but I’m not satisfied.”