By RICARDO WELLS
Tribune Staff Reporter
PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Chairman Bradley Roberts yesterday blasted tabloid reports that have suggested the opposition party is connected to alleged threats against senior government officials, calling the claims “rubbish” conjured up by the media.
On Wednesday, the outspoken chairman criticised members of the press for providing coverage to a matter he suggested had no merit.
The report claimed Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, National Security Minister Marvin Dames, Attorney General Carl Bethel and Minister of State for Legal Affairs Elsworth Johnson have all tightened security amid alleged threats to their lives.
The threats were allegedly made in response to the recent arrests and prosecution of three former PLP members of Parliament.
In response yesterday, an irate Mr Roberts said: “This is foolishness made up in the mind of (the press). (The reports) have (reporters) trotting back to the politician.”
He added: “If you all want to be a part of the parade, sir, I will not be a part of it. It is nonsense.”
When asked about the tabloid’s claims, National Security Minister Marvin Dames earlier this week vowed the government would not bow to threats as it strives to wipe out corruption.
However, he would not confirm or deny the veracity of the alleged threats when asked.
In a separate interview, Press Secretary Anthony Newbold told reporters he knew of “no credible threats to the prime minister or anyone else.”
Mr Newbold also denied claims that security details had been “beefed up”.
Police have also indicated that they have not received information regarding the alleged death threats.
When contacted, Assistant Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander told The Tribune “if it were true” police would take the matter “very seriously” and “act accordingly.”