By NATARIO McKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
Describing the response to Baha Mar’s recruitment drive as “overwhelming”, a senior executive yesterday told Tribune Business that more than 4,000 resumes had been received by the resort project in the past two days.
Baha Mar kicked-off its recruitment drive on Monday as it seeks to fill some 1,500 positions ahead of its ‘soft opening’ scheduled for April 21.
However, that number more than doubled yesterday. “We have received 4,491 resumes between Monday and Tuesday,” Robert Sands, Baha Mar’s senior vice-president of government and external affairs, told Tribune Business yesterday.
He added that up to 10am yesterday morning, Baha Mar’s website had received more than 21,000 visits, with 15,000 specifically related to its careers posting.
“I think that it is overwhelming and extremely encouraging, and it will make for a very competitive selection process,” said Mr Sands.
Baha Mar is looking to initially fill positions at the golf course, the casino and casino hotel, and convention centre ahead of its scheduled April 21 partial opening.
As many as 5,000 jobs are expected to be created once the resort is fully opened. The new owner, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE), has said it is dedicated to the success and timely opening of Baha Mar, and is “very optimistic” that the April 21 opening date will be hit.
The Hong Kong-based conglomerate revealed itself as the Baha Mar purchaser last November. Prime Minister Perry Christie, in addressing the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) recently, said 1,800 rooms at the casino and conference hotels would open during the 2017 second quarter.