0

19 Cubans Intercepted At Sea In Two Separate Incidents

NINETEEN Cuban migrants were brought to Grand Bahama after being intercepted at sea in two separate incidents by the US Coast Guard.

According to Department of Immigration officials, the first group was spotted in a wooden rustic vessel in Bahamians waters on Friday, April 5.

The USCG Cutter Robert Yared approached the wooden vessel and took 11 Cuban men into custody. The men claimed that they had left Cuba on the evening of Wednesday, April 3.

Immigration officer Napthali Cooper reported that the group was brought to Freeport around 2.30pm on Sunday and turned over to immigration officials at Freeport/Lucayan Harbour.

He said they were processed in Grand Bahama and later flown to New Providence to await deportation.

Mr Cooper reported that a second group was brought in on Monday afternoon.

According to reports, eight Cuban men were intercepted in waters at Cay Sal by the USCG after departing Cuba sometime last week.

Mr Cooper said the migrants claimed that they left their homeland on Thursday, April 4, and were headed to Florida.

The eight men were brought to Freeport on board the USCG Cutter Robert Yared that arrived around 1.30pm on Monday.

They were turned over to Bahamian immigration officials, processed and examined by doctors. They too will face deportation.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment