By NATARIO McKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
TAXI drivers yesterday doubled down on their strike threat, with a union leader warning: “It’s going into full effect."
Doubling down on earlier statements to Tribune Business, Wesley Ferguson, the Bahamas Taxi Cab Union’s (BTU) president, said drivers would begin to "systematically" withdraw their services from locations such as the airport, Baha Mar, the Prince George Wharf and Paradise Island as early as next Thursday.
Mr Ferguson told this newspaper: “It’s going into full effect. I think we are going to start withdrawing services as early as next week Thursday or Friday. We’re going to systematically start shutting down our operations.
"We might start at the airport, Baha Mar, then the dock and Paradise Island. Between Monday and Tuesday of next week we will look to have a general meeting with all taxi drivers in Nassau.”
Tribune Business was unable to reach Renward Wells, minister of transport and local government, for comment up to press time yesterday.
Taxi drivers last year urged the Government to end the two-decade old moratorium on new plates during a Town Hall meeting with Mr Wells. They cited its removal as a key issue, with numerous complaints being raised over the leasing of taxi plates.
Another concern highlighted by Mr Ferguson is the issue of unlicensed operators, which also featured in a recent travel advisory issued by the Canadian government.