0

October D-Day For New Road Rules

Transport Minister Renward Wells.

Transport Minister Renward Wells.

By KHRISNA RUSSELL

Deputy Chief Reporter

krussell@tribunemedia.net

THE government is eyeing an October deadline for the enforcement of amendments that were made to the Road Traffic Act back in March.

According to Transport and Local Government Minister Renward Wells, the months leading up to the enactment will allow the government to roll out an education campaign on the new road rules. “The road traffic amendments are going to be implemented by the first week in October,” Mr Wells told The Tribune outside of Cabinet yesterday.

“The only thing that we need to do now is put forward the appointed day notice as you know for it to actually become law.

“The reason why we chose October is that we wanted to be able to do the PR [public relations] campaign for the Bahamian people to cause them to understand exactly what it is that we are intending to do in regards to being able to turn left on the stop light, in regards to communication devices and also too some other issues that have been going on with road traffic.”

The amendments criminalise both the use of phones while driving and driving with an open alcoholic beverage.

Motorists will also immediately have to produce proof of insurance and a driver’s licence upon the request of a police officer.

The amendment also requires the payment of outstanding traffic offence fines before renewing a driver’s licence.

Driving instructors will further be prohibited from holding electronic devices under the new law but the stipulation will not apply to those driving emergency vehicles or a vehicle that is lawfully parked and not impeding traffic.

The amendments also mean motorists will be able to make a cautious left turn on a red traffic light.

The amendments were passed in a single sitting of Parliament earlier this year after they were tabled in September 2018.

Comments

tell_it_like_it_is 1 year ago

The only one I'm concerned about is the cautious left turn on red.
Bahamians already run the red light like there's no tomorrow (and not making no left turn!!!)... this may only further exacerbate the issue.
I guess we'll see.

0

B_I_D___ 1 year ago

More rules that will not be enforced or adhered to.

0

DDK 1 year ago

Stupid amendment about traffic lights. They run the red lights now, three to four at a time. Red light running is the new norm. The police do nothing. They simply do not care.

0

DDK 1 year ago

Also makes no sense having persons driving emergency vehicles at break-neck speed with one hand on the wheel. Law should stipulate hands-free phone use.

0

sealice 1 year ago

WTF good is this?? This is a monumental waste of time that epitomizes the fact that we really don't have traffic police - the only COPS that you ever see handing out traffic tickets are the keystones stationed downtown - they all look like rookies young and skinny running around writing tickets while the fat lazy sr officers stand in the shade doing SFA.

As Right Said Freddy Mitchell commented about the law regarding enforcing people digging up the roads... good luck trying to enforce that law (read... wit ya useless ars police farce)

0

Well_mudda_take_sic 1 year ago

Insurers already estimate that nearly 40% of the vehicles on the road are either unregistered, uninsured, or driven by drivers who do have a driver's license. The remaining 60% of us of us are throwing away our money by paying for the registration and insurance of our vehicles, and for our driver's license. Vehicle insurance rates are 60% higher for those of us who pay for it because the insurers are charging us for the 60% who have no insurance. Even vehicles pledged as security to a bank for a loan are more often than not uninsured as a result of insurance fraud.

0

Well_mudda_take_sic 1 year ago

1st sentence: ....who do not have a driver's license.

0

Sign in to comment