Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis speaks on Sunday.
From today’s press conference by Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis:
- The Prime Minister announced the creation of a new Ministry of Disaster Preparedness, Management and Reconstruction. MP for Central Grand Bahama Iram Lewis will be Minister of State for the ministry and will be sworn in Monday at Government House. This new ministry will help to coordinate the recovery of Grand Bahama and Abaco.
- The Prime Minister said the current emergency and the nature and power of hurricanes fuelled by a heating climate and rising sea levels demand comprehensive and dramatic changes in hurricane preparedness and disaster management. NEMA will be drastically restructured and the government will work with experts around the world to do this.
- Dr Minnis also said affected communities must be restored to their economic and social vibrancy from before Hurricane Dorian. As a result, East Grand Bahama, Abaco and the surrounding cays will be designated Economic Recovery Zones for the next three years. This will enable comumunities to benefit from a broad range of tax incentives.
- There is a shelter and housing plan for evacuees to return to Abaco and Grand Bahama. Temporary housing options will be available for staff and residents.
- The Prime Minister will return to Grand Bahama on Wednesday to assess the situation. A Heads of Agreement will also be signed there with the Carnival Corporation for a new cruise port.