By INIGO 'NAUGHTY' ZENICAZELAYA
THE 2020 NFL Draft has come and gone, and my Dallas Cowboys crushed it!
• Here’s the loot from last weekend’s NFL virtual draft:
1st Rd - WR CeeDee Lamb - Oklahoma
2nd Rd - CB Trevon Diggs - Alabama
3rd Rd - DT Neville Gallimore - Oklahoma
4th Rd - CB Reggie Robinson - Tulsa
5th Rd - G/C Tyler Biadasz - Wisconsin
5th Rd - DE Bradlee Anae - Utah
7th Rd - QB Ben DiNucci - James Madison
Maybe Cowboys owner Jerry Jones should draft in seclusion from his yacht more often.
‘Jerrah’ had the teams biggest needs covered, and he didn’t let the best wide receiver in the draft, CeeDee Lamb, get by him either.
There comes a point when a team gets on the clock and even though a prospect doesn’t fit a pressing need, he’s too good to pass up.
A lot of teams never grasp the concept. Fortunately, ‘Jerrah’ and Dallas did when CeeDee Lamb was available at No. 17.
• Lamb is a massive upgrade from last year’s slot receiver, Randall Cobb, who signed with the Houston Texans in free agency.
The Oklahoma receiver stands out as one of the highest-value picks in the first round and gives the Cowboys’ grade a huge boost.
Lamb also makes the Cowboys corps of wide receivers, along with Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, one the best and most lethal in the entire league.
• Diggs and Robinson are good rebounds from losing Pro Bowl CB Byron Jones in free agency to the Miami Dolphins.
Diggs has the ability to press receivers at the line, which should make him a good fit in Dallas.
• Gallimore gives them another way to get to the QB, and may be an upgrade over DT Maliek Collins who departed in free agency to the Las Vegas Raiders.
• Biadasz fills a need at the centre after the unexpected retirement of Travis Frederick.
Biadasz likely dropped because of injury concerns.
He had hip surgery in 2019 but is a top centre prospect.
• Anae, like Lamb, is considered a ‘steal’.
Anae was projected to go in the late second or early third round, but he plummeted all the way to the bottom of the 5th round.
Anae is capable of filling the edge void created by Robert Quinn. Anae was highly productive at Utah (27.5 sacks over the last three years) and isn’t the best quick-twitch athlete, but in the fifth round you’ll take a guy with his skills.
The Cowboys got impact players in the early rounds who can help immediately, snagging three of the top 50 rated players in the draft, and then they rolled the dice on Day 3 prospects who have shown potential with huge upsides.
Clearly the Cowboys earned their A grade.
Now, the key is for the team drafted and graded A on paper to actually become equally as good or better in reality on the field.
Naughty presents ‘Mischief and Mayhem in da AM’ from 6am to 10am, Monday to Friday and ‘The Press Box’ sports talk show on Sunday from 10am to 1pm, on KISS FM 96.1.