Haitian Man Accused Of Faking Marriage For Permit



A HAITIAN man has been accused of entering into a fraudulent marriage in order to obtain a spousal permit.

Lugens Saint-Aude, 40, was charged before Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt with committing a fraudulent marriage; fraud by false pretences; possessing false documents and uttering false documents.

It is alleged Saint-Aude entered into a marrige on August 11, 2015, in order to obtain a spousal permit.

It is also alleged he obtained a marriage certificate from the Registrar General Department by means of false pretences on the same day.

Saint-Aude is further accused of possessing a marriage certificate bearing the name Jessica Newbold and Lugens Saint-Aude, knowing the same not to be genuine. He was also charged with obtaining a spousal permit by means of false pretences on April 15, 2016, and July 17, 2017.

It is also alleged that Saint-Aude, while at the National Insurance Board, possessed the same fake marriage certificate knowing it was not genuine.

Saint-Aude denied all the charges yesterday. The matter was adjourned to May 19-21 for trial.

Bail was denied and he was remanded to the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services. He has a right to apply to the Supreme Court for bail.

In a separate matter, two men were charged with deceiving a public officer. Paron McKinney, 22, and Dereck Allen, 19, were charged before Chief Magistrate Joyann-Fraser.

Both pleaded guilty and were granted conditional discharge on the condition of good behaviour for six months.

Prosecutor Samantha Miah said on February 26 both men were in the area of West Bay Street when they gave P/C 3893 Miller false names when questioned.

McKinney and Allen were subsequently cautioned and arrested.

During interview under caution conducted by PC 4012 Bethel on March 1, McKinney admitted to the offence. He said he only gave a false name because he did not want to tarnish his name as he had never been to jail before.

On the same day, the prosecutor said Allen also admitted to the offence in another interview under caution with PC Bethel.

At the time, Allen told the officer he was shocked when his cousin, McKinney, gave his name to the police, so he had no choice but to give police a false name as well.

PC Bethel cautioned and charged both defendants.

While pleading for leniency, Allen’s attorney, Alex Morley, said his client accepted responsibility and was remorseful.

He noted that Allen had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and had made a positive contribution to society as a barber before the incident occurred.

Mckinney, who was not represented by an attorney, adopted Allen’s defence.

During the arraignment, Magistrate Ferguson-Pratt told the accused men she considered the fact that both of them have no pending matters or convictions and are gainfully employed.

Still, she reminded them that failure to oblige to the terms of their conditional discharge would result in a penal consequence of three months in custody.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment