Latest stories

Subscribe


Tease photo

Junkanoo divided over support for govt bill

SEVERAL major Junkanoo groups have broken ranks with the Junkanoo Corporation of New Providence (JCNP), throwing their support behind the government’s proposed Junkanoo Authority Bill, despite the JCNP’s opposition.

Tease photo

Public officers to get pay rise

THOUSANDS of public officers will see bigger pay cheques starting in December after the Davis administration completed a long-promised salary review exercise, with increases retroactive to September 1, 2025.

‘Don’t demonise lawful water sports operators’

The Bahamas must not permit the “demonisation” of its water sports industry due to the actions of rogue operators, a well-known industry executive is urging.


Op-Ed: UK recognises Palestinian State

In a historic, diplomatic step, the UK, alongside two other Commonwealth nations, Australia and Canada, yesterday recognised a Palestinian State.

WORLD VIEW: Haiti needs a single strategy, real money, and political discipline

I return to a focus on Haiti because it is too easy for the world to discard the situation in that beleaguered country.

Op-Ed: Power of our vote - our call to action

WE live in a strange political paradox — a nation that sings the hymns of democracy while often marching to the drumbeat of autocracy.


INSIGHT: We must protect freedom of speech

We are living in strange times.

GB Shipyard to double apprentice investment

The Grand Bahama Shipyard is planning by 2028 to double the current investment in its Bahamian apprenticeship programme to coincide with the arrival of its two new floating docks worth $600m.

Bowleg: World Famous Valley Boys missed out on seed funding over failure to register

MARIO Bowleg says the World Famous Valley Boys missed out on government seed funding because they failed to register with his ministry, rejecting the group’s claim that they were unfairly excluded.


Tease photo

Govt waiting on US to sign off on proposed Cuban workers agreements

CUBAN healthcare workers could soon sign direct contracts with the government if a proposed labour agreement submitted to US officials last week is approved, Health and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said Friday.

Tease photo

Former Minister of Health and Youth, Sports and Culture Dr Norman Gay dies

FORMER Cabinet minister, physician, and sports leader Dr Norman Gay died on Saturday, drawing tributes from across the political divide for his decades of service to The Bahamas in medicine, politics, and athletics.


Man remanded for flashing woman, stealing $10

A MAN was remanded to prison on Friday after he allegedly exposed himself and robbed a woman in New Providence last week.

Police investigate Bamboo Town shooting

Police are investigating a shooting that left a 23-year-old man in hospital on Friday night.

Police investigate suicide attempt at school

Police are investigating an alleged suicide attempt involving a girl at a school on Baillou Hill Road on Friday.


Brothers granted bail on firearm, ammo charges

TWO brothers were granted bail on Friday after they were accused of having an unlicensed gun in their home on Dorsett Street last week

Tease photo

Govt boosts Junkanoo seed funding, doubles parade prizes

The government has increased seed funding and doubled prize money for Junkanoo groups ahead of the 2025 Boxing Day and 2026 New Year’s Day parades, Youth, Sports and Culture Minister Mario Bowleg announced Friday.

Man remanded for mental evaluation after grievous harm charge

A MAN was remanded to prison for psychological evaluation on Friday after he was accused of severely injuring someone last week.


Tease photo

Darville eyes October deadline to finalise specialty hospital loan, labour terms

HEALTH and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said he hopes to finalise loan and labour agreements for New Providence’s new specialty hospital with China Export-Import Bank (Eximbank) before the end of October.

Tease photo

180 child sex abuse cases reported to Crisis Centre in past year

The Bahamas Crisis Centre has reported that 180 children, aged between 2 and 17, were referred for sexual assault over the past 11 months.