0

Tureano 'Reno' Johnson Ready To Return To Ring

Tureano 'Reno' Johnson

Tureano 'Reno' Johnson

By BRENT STUBBS

Senior Sports Reporter

bstubbs@tribunemedia.net

AFTER taking a short break here at home and witnessing the effects of Hurricane Dorian, which has hampered his local sponsorship, Tureano 'Reno' Johnson said he's refuelled and ready to return to the ring.

Golden Boy Promotions, Johnson's promotional team, are trying to line up a world title shot for the 35-year-old Bahamian.

But he will first have to take on a possible mandatory fight against undefeated 13-0 Meiirim Nursultanov, a native of Kazakhstan, who now resides in Oxnard, California, next month.

"I'm ready. I want to be the best in the world, so this is just another step in the right direction for me," said Johnson, who left town this week to resume his training in the United States.

The 5-foot, 10-inch Johnson admitted that he came home with the purpose of trying to secure some funding to assist in his six-week training, but he's grateful for the contribution from the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture.

"I will be returning to Florida to start training again with my coach there from Cuba before I head over to New York for the last part of my training with my head coach in preparation for my next fight," Johnson said.

The details have not yet been released, but Johnson said Golden Boy Promotions has indicated that they will have him back in the ring in December for the mandatory fight before he gets set up for a possible world title fight next year.

"Dealing with the hurricane and the lack of funding, I wasn't able to secure all of the necessary funding for me to get ready for my training camp," Johnson said. "But I will make the best that I can with the funding that I have.

"I will head to Florida for three weeks and then I will spend three weeks in New York before I fight again on December 20 in Madison Square Gardens.

"I am really looking forward to it."

Now sporting a 21-2-1 win-loss-draw record, Johnson is coming off a victory over the previously undefeated Jason Quigley on July 18 for the NABF middleweight title at the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California.

Prior to that, Johnson ended up with a draw against Fernando Castaneda February 9 at the same venue. Those two matches came after Johnson got back into the ring after he suffered the second loss of his career on August 25, 2017, to Serhiy Derevianchenko at the Buffalo Run Casino in Miami.

Johnson, who turned pro on February 22, 2013 with a victory over Willie Fortune at Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, got his first loss at the hands of Curtis Stevens on April 4, 2014 at the Liacouras Center in Philadephia before he reeled off six consecutive victories.

As a result of his victory over Quigley, Johnson is now ranked No.8 in the World Boxing Council and No.15 in the International Boxing Federation.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment