By EARYEL BOWLEG
Tribune Staff Reporter
A SEX offender released from prison last week died in hospital early yesterday morning after being found on a track road suffering from injuries about the body.
Superintendent Audley Peters confirmed to The Tribune that Alden Scott, 55, died sometime after 2am yesterday.
Mr Peters said the matter came to the police’s attention on Saturday afternoon after Scott was found on a track road in Yellow Elder Gardens.
He said: “He was suffering from injuries about the body, was removed and taken to the hospital via ambulance and treated by the medical practitioners and succumbed to his injuries this morning (Wednesday). We will await an autopsy report to give us instruction as to how we’re going to classify the death.”
National Security Minister Wayne Munroe was also contacted yesterday, but told this newspaper he was out of the country and would await a full briefing from police on his return before he made a statement.
The minister announced last Friday that Scott was being released from prison that day. The minister also revealed that Scott was being released after an indecent assault conviction, for which he was sent to prison for two years. The incident involved touching the hips of a nine-year-old girl.
His previous offence involved raping a 17-year-old. For that offence he was imprisoned in 2014 and released in 2020.
The minister also said that the registrar of the sexual offenders list and the commissioner of the correctional institution deemed him a significant risk to public safety. Viewing their submission to him and hearing the offender, Mr Munroe also determined that he is a significant risk and would be directing public notification of his release.
At the time Minister Munroe noted the concern of possible retaliation against persons who are the subject of a public notice. He said if it is manifest as a reality, it could lead to courts directing against public notifications.