All summer, the small boat drifted steadily eastward across the churning North Atlantic until it neared the Irish coast, where it made history by becoming the first unmanned sailboat to cross the Atlantic.
• A key opponent of high-tech, automated weapons known as “killer robots” is blaming countries like the US and Russia for blocking consensus at a UN-backed conference, where most countries wanted to ensure that humans stay at the controls of lethal machines.
• A facial recognition system will be used across an Olympics for the first time as Tokyo organisers work to keep security tight and efficient at dozens of venues during the 2020 Games.
Heather Knight wants to make robots more charismatic.
A team of Navajo high school students from a remote town in southern Utah is building a robot to represent North America in an international robotics competition.
A Google-affiliated company has chosen Kenya as the home of its first announced commercial deal for delivering internet access to hard-to-reach areas using high-altitude balloons.
• The surveillance system that has kept watch on students entering Lockport schools for over a decade is getting a novel upgrade. Facial recognition technology soon will check each face against a database of expelled students, sex offenders and other possible troublemakers.
Allowing inmates to stare at computer tablet screens for hours each day may be just the ticket for creating calm, orderly cellblocks, prison officials say.
Kroger Co is about to test whether it can steer supermarket customers away from crowded grocery aisles with a fleet of diminutive driverless cars designed to lower delivery costs.The test programme announced last week could make Kroger the first US g
The International Space Station got its first robot with artificial intelligence Monday, along with some berries, ice cream and identical brown mice.SpaceX’s capsule reached the station three days after launching from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Station
• IN ONE of the world’s more unusual diplomatic encounters, Ethiopia’s new prime minister has met with a humanoid robot. The chief of staff for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has shared online a photo of Monday’s meeting with Sophia, who has gained globa
IBM pitted a computer against two human debaters in the first public demonstration of artificial intelligence technology it’s been working on for more than five years.The company unveiled its Project Debater in San Francisco on Monday, asking it to m
• Apple is trying to drag the US’s antiquated system for handling 911 calls into the 21st century. If it lives up to Apple’s promise, the iPhone’s next operating system will automatically deliver quicker and more reliable information pinpointing the
Technology companies are racing to develop ultra-precise digital maps that can guide self-driving cars within inches of where they should be — a hurdle the industry needs to clear if it hopes to deliver on its promise of widespread use of driverless
If you’ve ever watched a YouTube video of a Boston Dynamics robot, you probably remember it. But you may not know what the videos leave out.