Latest stories

Subscribe


Baha Mar set to mitigate possible BPL bill increase

ROBERT SANDS, Bahamas senior vice president of government affairs, said the resort expects a slight increase in its BPL bills as the government’s equity rate adjustment policy takes effect this month, but expects to mitigate the rise through various strategies.

Baha Mar Foundation donates over $60,000 to local charity organisations

THE Baha Mar Resort Foundation donated more than $60,000 to four community organisations yesterday.

Sands: Baha Mar working to bring the Valley Boys together

BAHA MAR senior vice president of government affairs Robert Sands said the resort is working to unify the Valley Boys, which has broken into two factions.


Tease photo

Police unable to access Taylor’s phone

POLICE Commissioner Clayton Fernander said police have been unable to access the phone of an American woman who went missing last month.

Tease photo

White demands to know who is behind Athol Island development

ST Anne’s MP Adrian White called on government yesterday to name the developer behind “a major development project” on Athol Island that is creating an offence and producing a “great travesty to our environment”.

Tease photo

ORG renews calls for Integrity Commission amid police corruption claims

THE Organisation for Responsible Governance (ORG) has renewed calls for the establishment of an Independent Integrity Commission in the wake of serious allegations involving high ranking police officers, insisting that such a body would be effective in handling and reducing corruption cases.


Man charged with possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition granted $20K bail

A 23-YEAR-OLD man charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition was granted $20,0000 bail with two suretors.

Tease photo

Cartwright calls on govt to address Eleuthera water and electricity supply issues

ST BARNABAS MP Shanendon Cartwright urged the government to immediately address electricity and water supply issues that are impacting Eleuthera residents daily.

Tease photo

07092024 EDITION

Tuesday, July 9, 2024


Tease photo

Commissioner shares CCTV footage of missing boy

POLICE Commissioner Clayton Fernander said police have questioned three people about the disappearance of Devin Isaacs, 17, but the search for the teen is at a standstill.

Tease photo

Fernander assures publIc: ‘You can trust Police Probe’

POLICE Commissioner Clayton Fernander sought to assure the public that the Royal Bahamas Police Force is worthy of its trust after voice notes purporting to capture conversations about a quid-pro-quo arrangement involving a senior police officer and a prominent gang leader circulated last week, jarring residents.

Tease photo

Man who broadcast voice notes is shot

SYLVENS Metayer, the man who first disclosed voice notes that led Criminal Investigation Department head Chief Superintendent of Police Michael Johnson to take leave amid a police probe, was shot during a Facebook Live broadcast last night.


Tease photo

Team Bahamas falls short of making Olympics

The Bahamas’ bid for an historic shot at its first team competition at the Olympic Games came to an end in the finals of the FIBA Qualifying Tournament yesterday in Valencia, Spain.

Tease photo

MP on Out Island airport fees: ‘Where’s the sky?’

Fears have been voiced that Bahamian residents could be placed “under an economic lockdown” through the imposition of new and increased fees to pay for Family Island airport redevelopments.

Tease photo

‘Go above and beyond’ as hotel room revenue up 8%

Family Island hotels must “go above and beyond” on customer experience as the 8.2 percent surge in room revenues shows they are charging visitors more for their accommodation.


Ex-BPL union chief fails to restore 74-month payout

A former Bahamas Power & Light (BPL) managerial union chief has failed to persuade the highest court in the country’s judicial system to restore his $621,000 “handsome windfall” in termination compensation.

Tease photo

'IT WILL NOT DISAPPEAR': COP pledges full independent investigation, UK and US to assist

Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander today confirmed that a team has been assembled to investigate the allegations concerning several voice notes that purport to capture conversations involving Chief Superintendent of Police Michael Johnson, a well-known lawyer and Michael Fox, Jr, a man police described as a prominent gang leader when he was killed in May.

Tease photo

Cruise port to create 350 jobs via $35m water park

Nassau Cruise Port is aiming to create a further 350 full-time jobs through a new $35m water park attraction that is targeted for completion within the next 18 months.


Tease photo

‘Homicide by Manslaughter’ jurors rule in Coroner’s court

CORONER’S Court jurors ruled that police committed homicide by manslaughter when they killed a 15-year-old boy on Prince Charles Drive after the teen allegedly tried to rob a QVS store in the Seagrapes Plaza in 2017.

Tease photo

CID Chief on leave over voice notes

CHIEF Superintendent of Police Michael Johnson, the officer in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department, has taken garden leave as authorities investigate several voice notes that purport to capture conversations involving him, a well-known lawyer and Michael Fox, Jr, a man police described as a prominent gang leader when he was killed in May.