Latest stories

Subscribe


Tease photo

Nurses union to lobby for improved working conditions in 2025

WITH the new year underway, Bahamas Nurses Union (BNU) President Muriel Lightbourn said the union is focused on addressing several critical issues affecting nurses, including improved working conditions and concluding negotiations for a new industrial agreement.

Tease photo

BAARK! records rise in animal cruelty, neglect, and suffering cases

BAHAMAS Alliance for Animal Rights and Kindness (BAARK!) has seen an increase in animal cruelty, neglect, and suffering cases from 2023 to 2024.

Two men plead not guilty to armed robberies

TWO men denied their involvement in a string of armed robberies in New Providence that occurred last summer.


Tease photo

12312024 EDITION

Tuesday, December 31, 2024

Nine-month loss for Bahamas First

A local insurance company has seen an over $1m loss for the first nine months of 2024.

Trade diversification scheme to expand to Family Islands

The Bahamas Trade Commission intends to expand its National Trade Diversification Programme to Family Islands in 2025.


CIBC notches 11 percent income rise

A BISX-listed bank has reported a net income increase of 11 percent.

Call for PPP to help Abaco housing crisis

ABACO is suffering from a housing crisis, according to an Abaco township chairman, who has proposed a private-public partnership to help solve the post-Hurricane Dorian problem on the island.

Tease photo

‘Complaints at passport office down by 80 percent’

ACTING Chief Passport Officer Nicholas Symonette said the Passport Office had recorded a significant decrease in complaints and delays, with customer service issues declining by almost 80 percent.


Tease photo

Suspect in Adriel rape and murder charged

A 38-year-old man was remanded to custody yesterday after being accused of the sexual assault and murder of 12-year-old Adriel Moxey last month.

Tease photo

‘Insufficient evidence to charge Moxey murder suspect in other unsolved cases’

POLICE said they lack sufficient evidence to charge Chris Ferguson, the 38-year-old man accused of murdering and sexually assaulting 12-year-old Adriel Moxey, in connection with four unsolved murders in Grand Bahama, despite information he provided during questioning.

Tease photo

Murder victims’ families tell of tough Christmas

THE holiday season, a time typically filled with joy and family gatherings, has turned into a period of mourning for some families in The Bahamas who have lost loved ones to gun violence.


Tease photo

‘Everything is gone’ after gas explosion

A DAY after a gas explosion tore through her house, Sandra Smith sat in disbelief among the remnants of her family’s home, contemplating how her worst nightmare became a reality.

PETER YOUNG: Remembering the horror of the tsunami

Sociologists engaged in the study of people’s behaviour say that the world has become almost inured to natural disasters.

Rattlers win title

The CI Gibson Rattlers had to hold off a man-shortened CC Sweeting Cobras to retain their senior boys’ title in the 24th edition of the Providence Basketball Tournament yesterday at the CI Gibson Gymnasium.


Tease photo

Tribune Sports’ Teams of the Year

THE year 2024 could not be concluded without taking a look back at the tremendous performances of our teams that competed in the various international events.

Cannabis Authority expected to be established early next year

HEALTH and Wellness Minister Dr Michael Darville said the Bahamas Cannabis Authority is expected to be established early next year, with Cabinet already reviewing the recommended names for approval.

Teen accused of aiding and abetting Bernard Road barber shop shooting

AN 18-year-old man was remanded to prison yesterday after being accused of aiding and abetting the New Horizon Hair Cutz shooting on Bernard Road, which claimed the lives of two men earlier this month.


Man charged with raping woman on Boxing Day

A 46-year-old man was remanded to custody yesterday after being accused of raping a 23-year-old woman in her home on Boxing Day.

30-year-old accused of molesting nine-year-old girl seven times

A 30-year-old man was remanded to prison yesterday after he was accused of molesting a nine-year-old girl seven times over the summer.