Kroger Co is about to test whether it can steer supermarket customers away from crowded grocery aisles with a fleet of diminutive driverless cars designed to lower delivery costs.The test programme announced last week could make Kroger the first US g
The International Space Station got its first robot with artificial intelligence Monday, along with some berries, ice cream and identical brown mice.SpaceX’s capsule reached the station three days after launching from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Station
• IN ONE of the world’s more unusual diplomatic encounters, Ethiopia’s new prime minister has met with a humanoid robot. The chief of staff for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has shared online a photo of Monday’s meeting with Sophia, who has gained globa
IBM pitted a computer against two human debaters in the first public demonstration of artificial intelligence technology it’s been working on for more than five years.The company unveiled its Project Debater in San Francisco on Monday, asking it to m
• Apple is trying to drag the US’s antiquated system for handling 911 calls into the 21st century. If it lives up to Apple’s promise, the iPhone’s next operating system will automatically deliver quicker and more reliable information pinpointing the
Technology companies are racing to develop ultra-precise digital maps that can guide self-driving cars within inches of where they should be — a hurdle the industry needs to clear if it hopes to deliver on its promise of widespread use of driverless
If you’ve ever watched a YouTube video of a Boston Dynamics robot, you probably remember it. But you may not know what the videos leave out.
• Georg von Tiesenhausen, the last of the German rocket team that launched the US space programme, has died at his Alabama home. He was 104.
Apple will offer more ways for people to limit the time they spend on iPhones while introducing features designed to make its products even more indispensable.
• Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth — err, game.
A robotics company known for its widely shared videos of nimble, legged robots opening doors or walking through rough terrain is preparing to sell some after more than a quarter century of research.
Charging an electric car away from home can be an exercise in uncertainty — hunting for that one lonely station at the back of a rest-area parking lot and hoping it’s working.
• NASA and Uber have signed an agreement to explore putting flying taxis in the skies over US cities.
Google put the spotlight on its artificial intelligence smarts at its annual developers conference yesterday, announcing new consumer features imbued with machine learning.
NASA’s next Mars explorer is going to have company all the way to the red planet: a couple of puny yet groundbreaking sidekicks.