July 28, 2017
Stories this photo appears in:
The Grand Lucayan resort was yesterday said to have begun the “phased” termination of its remaining 208-strong workforce as it readies to complete the property’s sale to the ITM Group/Royal Caribbean joint venture. Michael Scott QC, the Grand Lucaya
The Grand Lucayan’s chairman yesterday said the 40 managerial staff alleging they have not been paid for weeks are “authors of their own distress” after they failed to co-operate on accessing unemployment benefits.
The tourism minister yesterday declined to predict that the Grand Lucayan’s sale will close by year-end, but remains “optimistic” it will happen. Dionisio D’Aguilar, speaking to reporters outside the Cabinet Office, said of the talks with the Royal
The Grand Lucayan's chairman yesterday confirmed a preferred bidder for the resort is likely to be announced this week with the Board set to submit its recommendations imminently.
GRAND Lucayan line staff have received their voluntary separation packages, inclusive of severance, gratuity, and back pay, according to its representative union.
Freeport's economy "won't look back" if Royal Caribbean's partnership with a Mexican group to develop mega cruise berths and buy the Grand Lucayan succeeds, Tribune Business can reveal.
TOURISM Minister Dionisio D'Aguilar estimated the government will have received over 20 bids for the Grand Lucayan by the time it closes off acceptance of bids next month.
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis revealed that of the 20 investor groups interested in purchasing the Grand Lucayan resort, there are seven serious contenders the government is looking at closely.
OPPOSITION Leader Philip Davis yesterday stressed the government’s purchase of the Grand Lucayan resort was a “waste of money” without a proper plan to justify how the money would be recouped.
FACED with the crumbling of an imminent sale of the Grand Lucayan, the government’s decision to purchase the resort has polarised the public. Some Bahamians have been very vocal in expressing their bewilderment via social media and on local radio talk shows. Concurrently, others have praised the government for its decision to purchase the beleaguered resort and save the jobs of those that would have been affected.
TOURISM Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar said yesterday the government was forced to act to save the Grand Lucayan hotel properties because its owner Hutchison Whampoa has been threatening to shut down the property.
WITHOUT iron-clad agreements in place to ensure private companies will manage the Grand Lucayan resort and bring in guests, it would make no sense for the government to buy the resort, a former Cabinet minister said yesterday.
THE Minnis administration is intent on buying the Grand Lucayan resort, despite objections from former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham.
THE Wynn Group’s proposal to purchase the Grand Lucayan hotel in Grand Bahama was “unacceptable to the government” press secretary Anthony Newbold said yesterday.During his press briefing held at the Office of the Prime Minister, Mr Newbold admitted
Hotel workers “have no fear” over the government’s potential Grand Lucayan acquisition, a union leader yesterday saying it will “never allow” the resort’s closure.Michelle Dorsett, president of the Commonwealth Union of Hotel Services and Allied Work
PRESS Secretary Anthony Newbold yesterday could not explain why ministers failed to discuss the $25m budget for an equity stake in the Grand Lucayan Resort during the budget debate in the House of Assembly last month.“Not really,” he said when asked
DEPUTY Prime Minister Peter Turnquest has admitted negotiations for the sale of the Grand Lucayan Hotel have been a complicated and difficult process with the four parties at the table.Mr Turnquest – who is on record saying the negotiations were “com
THE reopening of the Grand Lucayan Resort, the state of the International Bazaar, attracting new investors, and the high cost of living are major issues that are of concern to residents on Grand Bahama.After one year in office, there have been mixed
FINANCE Minister K Peter Turnquest said it is “completely false” for anyone to assert the sale of the Grand Lucayan resort in Grand Bahama had collapsed, adding the deal continues to move forward with all of the involved “big ticket items” already agreed upon.
ACTING Prime Minister Peter Turnquest has indicated the government is nearer to finalising a Heads of Agreement with new partners in the relaunch of the Grand Lucayan hotel property under a new brand that will revive the island’s tourism sector. Whi
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis announced on Friday that a letter of intent (LOI) has been signed between the owners of the Grand Lucayan hotel strip in Grand Bahama and the Toronto-based Wynn Group.
THE Minnis administration has made an offer to the owners of the Grand Lucayan Resort to purchase the properties in Grand Bahama, press secretary Anthony Newbold said yesterday.
PRESS Secretary Anthony Newbold said officials are still in talks over the Grand Lucayan Resort’s sale more than a month after Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis revealed the government was negotiating to become temporary joint owners of the hotel in Grand Bahama.
OFFICIAL Opposition Leader Philip “Brave” Davis said Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis’ revelation of his administration’s intention to become temporary joint owners of the Grand Lucayan Resort in Grand Bahama raised a lot of questions and lacked trans
The Government’s planned Grand Lucayan intervention has come too late for one Port Lucaya Marketplace tenant, who will close his store on Saturday and move to the Turks & Caicos Islands.